Saturday, July 26, 2008

Product Nods


There are so many things in the world right now that make me angry that for the time being I'm going to give a couple of vegan-centric product nods that make me happy instead of analyzing the evil ways of the world.
I've long-been of the notion to purchase cruelty-free products, products that promote a like-minded consciousness and products that aren't produced and shelved by The Man. For example, I stopped shopping at Target, because I really don't need all that stuff made by poor, exploited Chinese workers, and if I do, somewhere in my neighborhood probably has something better, produced locally. I'm lucky enough to be in a central neighborhood with thriving independent delis, hardware stores, used book shops and cute, local gift stores all within walking distance.
My boyfriend recently came home with dish soap made by Ivory, aka Procter and Gamble and it got me thinking why we don't stop to read our labels more carefully. Even our neighborhood grocer stocks products that are conscious. I quickly switched out that nasty ole Ivory for some Method soap, which doesn't test on animals. I know we can all make that hasty choice and small mistakes, but if we just remind ourselves to think about the choices and take that extra minute to scan the label, then we are happier all along.
Recently I stopped into Duross and Langel on 13th St. in Philadelphia to pick up a bar of soap, instead of going to Whole Foods to get my normal glycerin bar. This store is usually a treat for me or my first stop for gifts. All the soaps are handmade using fine ingredients, they have a large selection of men's skin care and fun bath toys! While I spent more than I would have normally, I feel great about my purchase because I supported a local business that also supports veganism and I had fun doing it. This store is like a candy shop for adults. Read the labels carefully, because some items may contain goats milk, but all vegan bars are labelled vegan. They also host workshops which I would love to do, but where will I find the time? Shop away, I love their soap, and they are always stocking up with new crazy combinations. Soaps make great gifts and this stuff beats pricey Lush if you ask me. They always include free samples with every purchase, and this time, the mojito soap really gets me moving in the morning. I can't wait to try the new exfoliating bar chock-full of sesame seeds and nuts to really get my face clean and smooth. You can't get this stuff at your local grocery store.
Another place I like to check up on from time to time is Sick on Sin, a Toronto-based company that sells really cute T-shirts, pins and magnets, many vegan-centric. Check it out, they are having a sale! I ran into this girl Jen, last year at the Toronto Vegetarian Festival and purchased a witty t-shirt that supports veganism, (see above logo.) She also stocks aprons which make a great gift for that vegan chef in your life. I bought one with an anti-steak logo for mine, but you have to ask. I also love her magnets and not all have to do with vegetarianism, some are just plain cute, make great gifts for kids or teens. I recently bought my 11 year-old niece a bunch of stuff from this site and while it would have pleased me tons to be the recipient, she was all smiles! But seriously, a "flesh is for zombies" pin? Bring it on!
Lastly on my list of recent purchase, which I'm kind of embarrassed about, is a fanny-pack! Yep, in case you haven't heard the fanny pack is making a comeback. Sometimes I don't want to carry a bag and I don't want bulky pockets. No I don't look like a dorky, lost tourist. I ride my bike often and I can't think of a more convenient way to carry my crap. I bought a cute one from Jansport ($9.99) at I Goldberg. I could have gone a more eco-route and bought something made of natural fibers, but quite frankly they all look frumpy and if there's any quality I'm looking for in a fanny-pack, it is certainly not frumpiness.
Well there you go, some shopping tips for the week that won't inspire guilt. Support local shops, it'll make you feel good.

No comments: