Monday, December 29, 2008

holiday shuffle

It's been a while since I last posted on Musings, but I've been busy over at For the Love of Raw. For delicious tips on the raw stuffed mushrooms from Christmas Eve dinner, see Mushroom Love
The holidays totally wiped me out, between working retail, shopping and preparing a menu for two different dinners with my partners' family, I'm lucky I'm still standing.
After being reminded how much they loved my oatmeal cookies last year, I decided to make a huge batch of cookies for Christmas Eve, along with a delicious vegan pot pie for Christmas Day. December 23rd rolls around and wouldn't you know it, my oven is broken. Hardly a surprise, considering I haven't even turned it on since going raw in April!
The cookies never made it to Christmas Eve, but they did make it into an oven on Christmas.
The recipe is simple and one of my favorites. These cookies are so good, I recommend making at least two batches:

Oatmeal Cookies with Chocolate Chips (or Raisins) (OR both!)
1 C Spelt Flour
1 C organic rolled oats
3/4 C maple syrup
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon

1/3 C water
1/4 C safflower oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or 1 whole vanilla bean, seeds scraped from inside.

3/4 C vegan chocolate chips, or raisins, or combo of both

Preheat oven to 350'. Coat baking sheets with oil.

Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl. Set aside.
Mix wet ingredients in small bowl.
Stir wet mixture gradually into dry ingredients until well mixed. Add chips and/or raisins until well-mixed.

Drop cookies on sheet using two teaspoons to make uniform-sized cookies, about 1 dozen per sheet.
Bake for 15-18 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned.
Let sit on sheet until slightly cool.
Continue until all cookies are baked. Serve warm, they will be a crowd-pleaser!

*note: I especially love this recipe because it contains heart-healthy oatmeal and warming cinnamon. It is surprisingly low in fat, contains no soy products and no refined sugar. No one will ever know they are eating a cookie that might actually be good for them!

See following post for Vegan Pot Pie

No comments: