Thursday, October 18, 2007

Talk about branding?!

When Lucky magazine first came out I thought I'd died and gone to retail heaven. Goodbye long-lines and shopping heedlessly. Lucky had the price, the web address and the phone number. You never had to leave your house to be decked out in the latest style.
Remember pop-up video on MTV?? Little chat bubbles with interesting, non-relevant facts would keep me more entertained than the video.
Where am I going with this, you ask? This week I watched the latest episode of The Hills. (I'm addicted!) and it was like a combination of Lucky and pop-up video and it disgusted me. Little bubbles pop up and say: Scarf; Alexander McQueen, $325.
At the end of the show was a Tally, (over $8,000!) telling you what it costs to live the life like The Hills.
I like this show, actually. I love watching Heidi squirm and I find myself obsessed with their vapid conversations and stupid cat-fights. However, I'm not crazy about their clothes, their lifestyle or their expensive cars and ugly boyfriends, and I can't believe that the producers of the show thought it was okay to market designer digs to 12 year-old girls.

No comments: