Sunday, November 9, 2008

Coincidence? I think not.

This week, three major networks unveiled a similar type of comedy-news, each anchored by a prominent black comedian. Last week, if you recall, our country's first black president was also elected.
Was the media aware that Obama was to become our next president, or were they taking a gamble. Is making fun of black people more acceptable when a black person does it? Because, judging on what I've seen so far, that is exactly where they are taking this. Sometimes I really, truly believe that it is the media that runs this country.
CNN has the very un-funny D.L. Hughley anchoring, D.L. Hughley Breaks the News, and Bill Bellamy has a new show on BET. But the creme de la creme lies with the very talented David Alan Grier's new show Chocolate News.
I tried to watch DL Hughley last night, but it's a snoozer. He's never been very funny and I'm not sure what CNN is trying to do by hiring a half-rate comic to anchor a comedy show on a news channel. Perhaps they want a piece of the John Stewart pie. The only thing that kept me riveted to Hughley's show for the ten minutes I could last, was looking at his train-wreck of a face. DL Hugley has gotten some major face-work and has ended up looking like a cross between Diana Ross and a billy goat. You can plainly see the eye-tuck, the cheek implants and the botoxed forehead, so if you like looking at future disasters then this could be a very interesting show for you.
I probably won't give Bill Bellamy the time of day. I never watched any of those Rush Hour movies and don't think I would even get most of his references.
But David Alan Grier! I've been waiting for him to come out with his own show since the days of Living Color and finally it's has arrived. David Alan Grier's skits are so wrong they're right and I cannot tell you how hard I laughed during his latest post-election show. Highly recommended.
So that sums up the weekly review of all the recent 'news-comedy' shows that have emerged with the new president. Even if Barack doesn't take this country in a new direction, at least the media is attempting to do their part.

No comments: